What is the Sports Premium ?
The Government provides additional funding to every primary school to enhance sports provision and improve PE.
Purpose of funding
Schools have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport but they have the freedom to choose how they do this. At Morley Memorial we believe that the money must be used so that:
- all children benefit, regardless of sporting ability
- the children are given the opportunity to compete in tournaments
- staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development.
During the academic year 2015-2016 we received £9750. As a result of the sports premium we have:
- run 2 activity/sports based sessions, led by qualified sports coaches every lunchtime. This has increased participation in physical activity across keystages
- invested in a new whole school PE scheme to give teachers access to high quality teaching resources
- subscribed to Cambridge School Sports Partnership which organises sports festivals and events. As a result all pupils in Y1-6 have had the opportunity to take part in sports competitions including cricket, football and rugby
- raised the profile of Sport through whole school events such as ‘Road to Rio’ Olympic celebrations which offered all children the opportunity to participate in dance workshops.
With the funding for 2016-2017 we hope to:
- increase the participation of girls in sport
- offer more opportunities for those with sporting talent to represent the school at a competitive level
- increase quality CPD opportunities for staff to work with external organisations to develop PE teaching